From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2014 06:27:42 -0500
> The factory system can't deal with human variation, no matter what the circumstance: in schools, hospitals or clinics.

 In American Industry there is a person called an efficiency expert.  A young woman told me they are now called Strategic Planning Consultant.  These experts can go into an office or factory and figure out where time is wasted, work can be trimmed and profits go up.  This works well with machines and office procedures, translating it to working with people is another story!  For us to even be using the term "industry standard" is a problem.  Helping the breastfeeding dyad isn't an industry.  It is caring, informing, assisting two people.  Usually one who knows what s/he should be doing (the baby - eating) and the other a mom, who has received tons of misinformation, is scared, and only wants what is best for her baby.  This isn't something for a quick, efficient fix.  It takes time.  Trying to make it quick and efficient leads to bottle feeding, not where mom  believes she wants to be, but where she is afraid she needs to be so her baby won't Starve.

The billing process, needs to reflect two (2) patients, not one (1)!  What other ideas to you have that can help us make the "industry standard" real and workable for the HCP who is working with a breastfeeding dyad.
Pat in SNJ