From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:26:48 +0000
Lactnuts and Lcs,

My coworker and I were brainstorming as we are looking for ways to
streamline/organize our work. We work in the hospital setting mostly seeing
postpartum moms and a few Nicu babies. One idea I had was to use a cart to
roll down the hallways so that we save many steps returning to the nursery
or to our office or the postpartum nurses station for supplies. Sometimes we
need some glucose water to mix a little with drops of colostrum, sometimes I
use a supply line, we use plastic bins for moms to wash their pump parts, of
course pump kits, labels, syringes, and more.  We could carry our Hale book
, etc. It is also quite difficult to find a place to sit and chart at the
nurses station. So, even though, we would have to lean over, we could chart
on the surface of our cart.

We carry a binder with our caseload in there (a sheet on each mom), a
separate area for our f/u calls (moving the moms' sheet to that section once
she's discharged, handouts for special situations like expressing for a
premie, doctors phone numbers, form letters for the docs or to WIC (the
public health program). I'm sure many of you can relate to this. We are
going to streamline our binder so that we do not have to open the 3-rings
every time to get/move a paper, we are going to use clear pocket sleeves
instead, so that e.g. all our f/u calls are placed in one sleeve.
Any ideas from any of you on what works to save steps, save time, without
compromising good care?

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA