From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:23:51 -0600
Another sad thought that adoptive moms need to consider is that sometimes
the birth mother changes her mind and the adoption doesn't go through. I
have worked with a couple of moms who successfully nursed adopted babies and
a couple who really prepared beforehand (pumping, medications to stimulate a
milk supply) and then the birth mother changed her mind. Many mothers are
emotionally wrecked after having started a milk supply before the birth and
then not getting the baby.

I do know of an adoptive mother who fostered two babies, relactated for
both, but kept this information very quiet until the adoption was finalized.
The authorities were not told and she did not do so in public. Since both
babies were under state care, she got her full package of formula from WIC
like she would if she were just a "normal" foster mother. She rented her own
pump, bought her own devices, etc.

I know of someone else who had custody of the baby and the State of Texas
WIC helped her relactate and gave her an SNS. This was probably 11 years
ago.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC