Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 23:17:55 +0000

>My work has found that British parenting magazines have more advertisements
>for formula and formula brands than parenting magazines from the USA,
>Canada, Australia or NZ - even though there is legislation banning the
>advertising of infant formula in the UK.

That doesn't surprise me - ads for formula are all over the UK
consumer press, not just parenting magazines.  Legislation needs to
be extended to cover all formula and a couple of years ago this was
indeed proposed to our department of health, with a view to bringing
out a new Bill. It didn't get very far, despite good evidence that
the advertising of follow on was confusing to mothers.

>  In the UK infant
>formula ads seem to have been replaced with ads for the rest of the product
>line (follow-on, toddler, gum).

Indeed that is the case (though not sure what you mean by 'gum'?).
The packaging, slogans, and general marketing of these products is
deliberately designed to be a de facto ad for the infant formula of
the same name.  It's the same with the TV ads, where the babies that
appear in some of them are as young as they can possibly look and
still be deemed to be 6 mths,

>... and yes, Heather they really do call it follow-on or progress formula
>here.

No - my question was do they call it 'follow up' (and not follow on)
in Canada.....

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK