From:
JAMES HINSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 1995 10:45:34 -0500
I have some concern regarding the use of tea bags for sore nipples.  I have
heard some talk regarding a relationship between tea bag use and nipple yeast.
Since I have not seen any real evidence that tea bag use helps, I recommend that
mothers not use them.

Until I heard that they may contribute to nipple yeast infections, I neither
recommended or not-recommended use.  I did not think they helped but did not
think they hurt.  If there is a chance that they may contribute to a nursing
problem, I now have to suggest not using them.

Do any of you know of a possible relationship between tea bag use and nipple
yeast?  The thought was that they wouldn't be used unless the nipple was already
damaged (yeast risk factor) and that the warm tea bags harbored yeast which was
then carried to the warm, damp, sweet breast.

Pardee Hinson, MPH, IBCLC
Charlotte, NC   [log in to unmask]