From:
Anne Merewood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 22:56:41 -0500
<<In the hospitals where I have worked in L&D and postpartum the babies
generally got cold as a result of their initial bath.   If babies are
kept skin to skin, not bathed and sport one of those cute little hats
there shouldn't be a cold issue.  The good news is things are changing
at some of the area hospitals and babies are being transferred with mum
from L&D to her postpartum room and skipping the nursery visit
entirely.  Which is good news for breastfeeding.>>

We have 2 problems with above approach (which has been suggested). 1. The
nurses object because they think they will have a lot more work to do if
they have to clean up the baby etc etc in the room. 2. Nurses keep saying
they don't want to touch unbathed babies and what about 'universal health
precautions' bodily fluids etc. Anyone else overcome these barriers?
Anne Merewood