Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 19:26:09 +0000
>They also encourage early solids in =
>small amounts for the same reason - to get the widest selection of trace =
>minerals and to avoid the still-unknown consequences of a baby NOT =
>getting all the good stuff that's in human milk. They acknowledge that =
>this practice may increase risk of allergies, and present the arguments =
>that (1) when ABM is used, allergy risk is increased anyway; and (2) =
>allergies are preferable to permanent brain damage.=20

However, that presumes that allergy and brain damage are mutually
exclusive. They are not - severe allergy (anaphylaxis) can result in
brain damage or even death. I accept it is extremely rare, but I want
people to understand that allergies *can* and *do* result in permenant
injury or death - we are not just talking about infantile eczema or
hives here.

I suspect brain damage due to nutritional deficiencies of formula is
pretty rare as well.
--
Anna (mummy to Emma, born 17th Jan 1995 and Alice, born 11th Sept 1996)
Email: [log in to unmask]  Web Page: http://www.ratbag.demon.co.uk/anna