From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 12:50:30 PST
I apologize for being 2 days behind, but want to answer since I have worked
10 yrs in nicu [in a past life] and was a bf counselor there.
The mother in question seems to have lots of milk [40+ ounces/day? for her
now 3 lb baby]. It is up to her, I feel, whether to eliminate one pumping
per day. I feel it would be safe and not compromise her supply. Perhaps the
extra sleep would be helpful to her and she would have more stamina as she
begins to assume more care for the baby. Many moms do get tired of pumping
and if they have a good supply do feel releived to be able to eliminate a
pumping session or to stretch out the q2 pumpings to q3 or so. As long as
she watches her supply she can change back if volume falls off greatly -
which I would not predict. She is doing great w/ the kang care and practice
nursing. But maybe she could speak up that the baby does not need to learn
bottle feeds if he is a breastfeeder [if that is how the mom feels].

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA