From:
Kellie Whitney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:51:17 -0400
I am intersted in studying to become a CLE over the next year. I have
looked into the programs offered by UCSD and CAPPA. I need a distance
learning program, as my children are too young to be without me for an
extended period of time. Also, we do not have the resources available to
pay for both tuition and childcare. The program at UCSD is shorter, but
much more expensive (almost double the cost) than the program offered
through CAPPA.

I realize that most distance learning programs fall short in that they do
not require clinic hours. However, I feel that my experience as an LLLL,
as well as the continuing education I pursue will offset that (at least a
little). I honestly feel pretty well-prepared to teach breastfeeding
classes now; I am just looking for a way to earn the credential so I can
teach them in good conscience.

I will, of course, be purchasing Linda Smith's excellent book on
strategies for teaching breastfeeding classes. Are there any other must-
have resources that come to mind?

Any reccomendations for specific programs? My long-term goal is to become
an IBCLC, but for now, I only want to be able to teach breastfeeding
classes in the evenings and on weekends to suppliment our family's inocme.

-- Kellie Whitney, LLLL