From:
Doraine Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 12:52:49 PST
Hi all!
I'm working on materials for World Breastfeeding Week to discuss the
positive impact (and the concurrent costs) of having breastfeeding
support services.  Such services could be through private practice LC's,
institutional LC's, non-LC peer counselor programs, or LLL groups.  I'm
specifically looking at economic issues -- the bottom lines for
institutions and providers (as well as clients).

I need your stories!!
a)  Internal formal/informal research/reports documenting positive
outcomes after hiring/contracting with an LC, etc.

b)  Case studies (eg. YOUR experience) on costs to implement and outcome
differences with LC services would be especially helpful.

c)  Specific quotes on improvements in services/outcomes/patient
satisfaction (esp. from Hosps/HMOs).

d)  Real stats on real differences in infant morbidity via feeding
method IN YOUR EXPERIENCE (I've already got the published literature)

e)  Patient satisfaction -- quotes from patients themselves.

I believe that businesses (including hospitals and HMOs) will be
intrigued by experience content (stories) as well as published research.

I may not use everything, but the more compelling, the better.  I
suggest you submit things to me via my email address.  I'll respect
confidentiality/competitiveness -- send the quote or story with the
"credit" that you would like to see published: complete name, initials,
city, institution name, or whatever.

Your wisdom, brainpower, and help are greatly appreciated!!!!
I look forward to hearing from you.

Doraine Bailey
ILCA WBW Coordinator

In your message, you note you are getting reimbursed for clinical
lactation services through Medicaid HMOs.  I'm intrigued by what you and
the neonatologist told the managed care company to get them to cover LC
services (eg. the benefits to them).  What about other, private HMO's?
Do they cover, too?