From:
Heidi Ann Koslo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:56:10 -0900
I could be remembering something incorrectly, but having heard Dr. Jack
Newman speak in December, I thought he said something about being cautious
about using fluconazole because of an associated possibility of reduction in
supply.  I am sorry, my notes from that meeting are not terribly complete
... all I wrote about it was under the heading Milk Supply decreases ...
some meds, fluconazole or diflucan possibly.  I am certain you could contact
him for more information.  However, Cheryl's post (below) makes sense to me
... but I thought I would put in this 2 cents, just in case the reference to
Newman could be useful to Janet.

Can taking fluconazole for yeast overgrowth negatively impact milk supply?
I am working with a client who has experienced a sudden reduction in supply
since starting this drug.  If  fluconazole  reduces supply, can you explain
why?
Janet Talmadge, IBCLC
Naperville, IL

Presuming that there is thrush if fluconazole is being given and thrush
itself can irritate the milk ducts, inflame them, slow flow and thus slow
production.  So it is likely the thrush condition, not the drug, that is
causing the supply reduction.  It typically bounces back quite well once
the thrush is under control.
Cheryl Taylor White, CBE
_www.drjaygordon.com_ (http://www.drjaygordon.com)

Regards,