From:
Helen Pappas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2008 18:13:35 -0500
It's been years since I posted to Lacnet, been reading archieves but now I
have a question.

I have a professional relatinship with a mother of a 6 month old. Mom is a
family nurse practitioner and a certified nurse midwife, along with being my
clinical preceptor for my nurse practitioner program. She has had MRSA breast
abcess early on in PP, which was I&D'd and treated with in hospital IV
antibiotics. She has again experienced 2 more bouts of mastitis, assumed to
be MRSA, and treated. She is being heavily pressured by her family and her
primary care MD to STOP bf but of course she does not want to. We have
assumed that she was colonized through her job, our pts have a high rate of
MRSA. Her husband is a physician, and he could also be a source of infection.
We were talking about having baby's nose cultured, as the literature states
that baby can be colonized and pass it to mom. That's where we lose the trail
though, IF baby is colonized, I can't find anything talking about if he should be
treated or if that would reduce mother's ongoing battle with MRSA. Baby has
been healthy.  Any input into this or suggestions of literature would be greatly
appreciated. I have done a pretty extensive lit search through the med library
and can't find much at all.
Thanks.