From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 12:46:20 -0500
Hi All,
Well you all know I am pregnant, about 29 weeks now, and due in Jan.  Well,
the weird and scary dreams have started and the one I had last night really
got me thinking.  Here is how it went:

I delivered baby now, at 29 weeks.  Obviously she (well at least it was a
girl!) had to stay in the NICU.  They had their standard policies of the q 3
hr feed, no holding, bottle feed before BF,and strict visiting hours.  Well,
I bucked the system (of course!) and told them what "I" was going to do with
MY baby.  I decided that I was going to basically live at the hosp and  do
skin to skin, breast play (even at 29 wks) pump and feed baby q 2 hrs
minimum.  Well, needless to say, the Dr.s and nurses at this dream hosp,
HATED me!
Well, then my toddler woke up, and I didn't get to see the results of my
"program" for baby.
My question for discussion is this:
If we could get NICU's to institute a policy like this, premeis fed EBM
q2hrs, lots of kangaroos care, NO artificial nipples, and lots of free breast
play, moms supported to pump like crazy to build a strong supply, what do YOU
think would happen?  DO you think the babies would do better all the way
around?
What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Jay