From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 15:12:39 -0500
This smoking data is more and more intriguing.  Going into the details of the MMWR

The preceding interventions were:
1) increased taxation
2) smoke free work places
3) public and healthcare providing education
4) cessation services
5) rigorous evaluation

The results showed that there was a drop in smoking rates between 2002 and 2004,
followed by a plateau between 2004 and 2005.

In 2005, they added:
1) City advertisements:  testimonials from sick and dying smokers, graphic images of the
effects of smoking on the lungs, arteris, and brains of smokers
2) New York state advertisements with graphic images, emphasizing the effects on
children

There was another decline in smoking from 2005 to 2006 that did not reach statistical
significance except among men and among hispanics.  What is interesting when I went
back to this data is that there was virtually no change in this group between 2002 and
2005.  ALL OF THE DROP IN THIS GROUP started after the graphic advertisements started.

Best, Susan Burger, PhD, MHS, IBCLC

I think all of us can come up with our own equivalents for points 1-5 in the initial
interventions.  What is interesting is that it seems that a real drop in smoking rates didn't
occur in the two groups until they implemented negative advertising.  The ONLY group
where you see a slight, but not significant increase was in whites and over the age of 65!