From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 1995 14:46:37 -0900
Dear Jay, I always knew that you were SOMETHING ELSE. I know exactly how
you felt and what motivated you, and frankly lose patience with
professionals who don't understand the maternal instinct. When I hear it
called postpartum hysteria or some like drivel, I really lose it. When I
was told to cold turkey wean my firstborn at 8 months, I cried every time
I gave her a bottle the first week. And what about women who have
C-sections that they were completely unprepared for? Ever read "Silent
Knife"? I never had a C/S, but I cried thru most of that book. I have a
friend who had 2 kids by C/S and was so determined to have a VBAC for the
third that she took all kinds of risks, ignored warnings of her midwife,
generally ignored signals her body was giving her,
and the baby was tragically stillborn. This woman was not stupid (as a
matter of fact, she's a nurse), just grimly determined to be "normal", AS
SHE SAW IT. My point being, breastfeeding, vaginal birth, etc. is very
important to many women as an integral part of their maternal/womanhood
core self-image. It's an endangerment to their self-image if they "can't"
breastfeed. I think that all of US are very good at sensing this
personality and we bend over backwards to help. Too bad that other
professionals are so blind.
Sorry I worked myself up so - hope you had the forbearance. Hugs, Judy K