From:
Barbara Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 09:33:31 -0500
Pat's post of her question on human casomorphin and casein in the milk
of other mammals has prompted a slew of people interested in completing
the survey I conducted in 2001 as part of preparation for a presentation
for the NZ Lactation Consultant Association Conference.  I later turned
that presentation into a paper, which alas, was rejected for publication
by JHL, but all this interest has inspired me to dust the thing off, fix
it up and resubmit to other journals.  I still believe that there is a
link between early feeding difficulties and later diagnosis of autism
spectrum disorders.

It will take a bit of time, as it is currently buried in about 3 zillion
boxes being moved, but in the next month or two, I will contact all who
expressed an interest with more details.  In the meantime, if you, or
mothers willing to share their experiences, current or past (but the
more recent from the time of feeding to diagnosis the better), please
ask them to contact me at  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] All spectrum disorders, including Asberger's and
PDD, are included, and I am interested in bf successes and failures.
Mothers who combined breast and formula feeds are also welcome, as are
mothers for whom bf failed within weeks, resulting in exclusive formula
feeding until solids were introduced.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you know someone with a child, especially
under 5, who has been diagnosed on the spectrum, I'd love to survey that
mother.

Barbara Ash
Asst Executive Director
IBLCE