Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2012 20:57:38 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Have mother go on a low saturated fat diet--that means cutting out dairy fats and eating only lean meats.  If she eats dairy, it should be skim milk products only. 

The usual recommended dosage for recurrent plugged ducts is 3600-4800 mg lecithin per day, or 1 capsule (1200 milligram) 3-4 times per day. After a week or two with no blockage, mom can reduce the dosage by one capsule. If there is no blockage within another 2 weeks she can reduce it again by one. Mom may need to continue taking 1-2 capsules per day if stopping the lecithin leads to additional plugged ducts. (this is Jack Newman's plan)

You can start out with a drastic reduction of the saturated fats--only using skim milk products and very lean meats, and once everything is cleared up, gradually increase the amount of saturated fat in your diet and see if you start to get any breast discomfort.  If and when you do, cut back a notch on the saturated fats, and that is a good level for you to eat.

Some mother's are sensitive to the saturated fats in their diet, and it clogs up their milk ducts.  I was one of those people, and had mastitis 5 times in 8 weeks with my first child.  A midwife told me about the above plan just before I had my second baby, and it worked like a charm, and I have seen it help many people with this issue.  Of course, 29 years ago, I had to figure out for myself (without internet), what a low saturated fat diet was!  

Good luck!
Kathleen Gale RN, IBCLC, RLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2