From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:25:28 -0400
I read that one of the pump/bottle system vendors has requested that IBCLCs
write testimonials regarding their bottle system.  Watch out! There are many
serious ramifications to writing such a testimonial on a product covered by
the International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes (WHO Code).
Learning about products covered by the Code is one thing - helping the
manufacturers advertise their product is another whole kettle of fish.
It's my understanding that this same vendor is seeking clients for a
clinical trial of pumps.  To protect the mothers and babies, it is customary
in most (if not all) healthcare organizations worldwide to obtain internal
Institutional Review Board approval for any clinical trials. I urge you to
check your organizational policies/procedures before participating.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre
Dayton, OH USA
http://www.bflrc.com