From:
"Coleman, Joyce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 09:26:00 -0400
Hi, Ann and Pam.  I recently learned about HIV in my pathophysiology class,
and boy have things changed since I last learned about HIV.

Regarding HIV testing, the virus can be detected immediately after exposure-
-however, most people are tested for the antibodies--which I believe can
take up to 6 months to show up.  The mother could request that she and the
92 year old man be tested for the VIRUS, not the antibodies.  Is she taking
AZT?  In cases where health care providers sustain a needle stick, they
have the option of taking the drug, but it should be started within the
first 30 minutes to be most effective.

Hope this helps!

Joyce Coleman, RN, IBCLC