From:
Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:29:19 +0800
On the subject of epidurals, J. Cooper said the following:

>"The issue has to do with the culture of women giving birth.  Some women do
not trust their body's ability to birth a baby without our technology.  I
feel sense of sadness for them as birth can be such a powerful experience."<

We can say the same thing about women's lack of trust in their body's
ability to breastfeed.  Would it be fair to say that the same cultural
assumtions that make epidurals the "standard of care"-are the assumptions
that contribute to the low rates of initation and continuation of
breastfeeding?  We could change the third sentance above to read: "I feel
saddness for them as *breastfeeding* can be such a powerful experience."

(And why wasn't I surprised that my cousin who's married to an
anesthesiologist had pitocin, an epidural and ulitmately a cesarean just 2
months ago?!)

Nancy Sherwood  IBCLC, LLLL- Perth, Australia