From:
Vicky York <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 22:20:02 -0800
I would rather see her come up with some other compromise other than
weaning. But if she wants to wean, this is a handout I give my clients to
help them, gathered from different sources over the years.  And if anyone
disagrees with any of this, I welcome input.

*Engorgement itself causes a protein called feedback inhibitor of lactation
(FIL) to accumulate in the mammary gland. This protein, along with reduced
capillary blood flow and involution of the milk-secreting gland, leads t to
suppression of milk production. But should not be allowed to be prolonged to
the point of pain. Extended engorgement can lead to mastitis and extreme
pain

*Vitamin B-6   600mg

*Ice packs in the bra will decrease local pain and swelling

*Ibuprofen or acetaminophen can reduce inflammation and provide pain relief.
Antihistamines help a lot.

*Supportive bra for large breasts

*Cabbage leaves seem to help some women, or Cabo cream

*Ultrasound. See your local physical therapist.

*Parsley, sage, black walnut, birth control pills, peppermint, dandelion
root, Turmeric tea (anti inflammatory)and antihistamines  help dry up
breastmilk.

Homeopathic: Bryonnia, one under tongue every 15 minutes.

*Remove just enough milk to reduce the pressure in the breast, but not
enough to empty them. Frequency and duration of pumping will vary from one
woman to another depending on the amount of milk she is producing, and the
time since the birth of her baby.

 A typical schedule might be:

Day 1. pump for 5 minutes every 4-5 hours

Day 2. pump every 6 hours for 3-5 minutes

Day 3-7. pump just long enough to relieve discomfort

A woman who has a large amount of milk, either in storage or in production
who wishes to donate milk to a milk bank can donate to the Human Milk
Banking Association of North America. www.hmbana.org.

It is no longer suggested to use breast binders.

Vicky York, IBCLC, CPD

Postpartum Care Services

Eugene, OR