From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:10:45 -0500
Does anyone have, or know of, a handout for Hispanic moms specifically
addressing the cultural practice of giving bottles of formula to
breastfeeding babies?  We have not had many Hispanic families in our
population until recently, and I'm looking for a way to address this.  I
do not seem to be very convincing that it is normal for baby to nurse
long and frequently for the first few days.  About the only success I
have talking mothers out of giving the formula is with a few multips who
had significant engorgement last time; sometimes I can convince them
that not giving the formula can prevent the engorgement.

I'm hoping for a culturally-sensitive handout that might be more
convincing, and would welcome suggestions as to how I can be more
persuasive, too!  Thanks.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC
Appleton, Wisconsin