From:
Melissa Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 23:09:49 -0500
Hi, again

(and no, I didn't take Lara's post personally!!)

I absolutely agree that there is nothing "militant" about the act of
breastfeeding. I do, however, believe that the two women chosen to represent
the two sides of this debate were chosen for their ability to be outspoken,
unbending, and perhaps even "warlike." They were chosen for the benefit of
ratings--in an effort to ensure that everybody watching was angered by at
least one of them. Perhaps "militant" is not exactly the right word here,
and my point was NOT that breastfeeding can be considered such. I DO think
that when a breastfeeding mother--or host of a tv show--misses the
opportunity to explain WHY the importance of breastfeeding supercedes the
possibility of offending someone, then what she says comes off sounding
abrasively obnoxious. Another interesting point about this pro-mom was that
her statement about having the right to breastfeed "anywhere, anyway, any
how" was only one part of what she had to say, and was the most rigid
statement to come out of her mouth--and Dr. Phil kept coming back to it.

This show, not surprisingly, was about ratings, pure and simple.

But it did have some really nice pictures of nursing mothers and babies! ;-D

thanks for making me think about my choice of words!

Melissa Vickers, IBCLC
Huntingdon, TN