From:
Laura Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 20:13:19 -0400
At the hospital where I teach we have a 3 session Newborn Parenting class.
 The first two classes cover such topics as diapering, newborn
characteristics, child passenger safety seats, crying, sleeping etc.  The
entire third class is devoted to breastfeeding.  By the time we get to the
third class I have "won over" the fathers and the couples have gotten a
little more comfortable with each other.  I insist that the fathers come to
the third class and explain how they will be the major source of information
and support to the new mothers.  I have had many fathers question how I can
possibly spend 2 1/2 hours on breastfeeding and they are all pleasantly
surprised at #1 how interesting it is and #2 how I could spend that much time
and still feel like there was more to offer.  I have the Moms and Dads pass
the "baby" back and forth in class each trying the different positions and
correcting each other.  If the fathers balk at this,which they rarely do, I
remind them of how we are all aware that adult learners learn best by doing.
  The nurses on the floor tell me that they always know which couples have
gone to my class because if they remember nothing else, they remember how to
position the baby.  I firmly believe in empowering these parents and the best
way to do that is by providing them with information and confidence.  I have
been giving my home number out at these classes for 15 years and I have to
tell you that I have more fathers call me than mothers.  I believe that
sometimes the mother is too overwhelmed to even make that phone call.  I
often wonder what would have happened if the father had not attended the
class and thus not felt comfortable calling me.  Regarding the "giving one
bottle" issue I talk about how different the father's and the mother's roles
are with the baby and how much the baby enjoys those differences.  I talk
about how the baby NEEDS the father as much as he/she NEEDS the mother but in
different ways.  I believe Wm. Sears addresses this in one of his books but I
can't remember which one.  I show 7-8 slides of fathers interacting with
their babies in a variety of ways such as bathing, massaging, comforting,
burping, playing.  I too have found that the fathers really appreciate humor
in the class.  They really can be our biggest advocates.  They have so much
to offer the mother.  They just don't know what it is yet and need our help
in figuring it out.
Laura Alexander