From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 08:25:14 -0700
In the world of adoptive breastfeeding, we see dramatic results from babies
recieving even a small amount of breast milk, along with formula, all the
time!  It is especially easy to see the effects in the many babies who are
placed for adoption and start nursing when they are older, having various,
well established, health problems, which respond dramatically to the
addition of even a couple ounces of breast milk a day to their diets.

In many cases, the fact that the babies are also being nurtured at the
breast certainly contributes to the overall positive effect.  However, there
are also quite a few where the baby is not nursing, but is given some ebm.
My son, Allan, was the first dramatic example I saw, which did alot to fuel
my increased interest and determination to breastfeed the rest of my adopted
children.  Allan had been willing to nurse with the Lact-Aid, but his
extremely weak little suck, combined with my lack of experience and the
absence of support or assistance from anyone who knew anything about
breastfeeding worked against me.  I gave up after a couple months of part
time nursing with the Lact-Aid, which he rarely managed to get much formula
from, during which his weight gain was a concern, and he screamed almost
constantly.  (I can now think of dozens of things that could have been done
to turn that into a successful situation, but that was then.)

Allan was the most miserable baby I had ever seen, screaming for literally
hours on end, stopping only occasionally, for a minute or two, to catch his
breath.  He had ear infections steadily, which he had been on several
different antibiotics for.  It was beyond frustrating, knowing that breast
milk was what he needed, but being unable to provide it myself.  Finally, I
decided it was time to look for some donated breast milk.  I soon found a
mom in our housing area, who worked full-time and hand expressed her milk
for her own baby, when she was away.  She offered to provide some milk for
Allan.  He started getting just 4-6 ounces a day of her milk, and the change
was dramatic!  He stopped screaming all the time, his ears cleared for the
first time in months, and stayed clear.  He started smiling and catching up
on the development he had been lagging behind on.  He was like a different
baby!
This is just one specific story, but I could write all day about cases where
I have seen a dramatic change in a baby from just a little breast milk.
Also, it is well known that toddlers and older children who breast feed even
occasionally are healthier than those who recieve no breast milk at all.

Of course, this topic is one to be used with care.  We certainly don't want
to say anything that might result in a mother breastfeeding part time, when
she might otherwise bf full time.  However, there are also many cases where
a mother might be encouraged to at least provide a little breast milk, where
she would otherwise give her baby nothing but formula.

Darillyn