From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:32:56 +0800
>Gail's post about paper flow has prompted me to ask you all about your
>systems of filing information concerning breastfeeding.  When in college, I
>had a dietetics professor who gave us a sample of an organizational system
>for filing.  Since I am somewhat organizationally impaired, I have been
>thinking lately that I now need a sample to follow for all of the
>breastfeeding information I am collecting.  Any one have a great system that
>they follow?
>
>Barb Herrman, RD/LD
>Manhattan, KS

I don't know if my system would suit everyone, but here goes:

I have a database (I use FileMaker Pro on a Mac) for 'Breastfeeding
References'. Everything on paper, including all articles in journals,
reprints, photocopies, handouts, even notes I have taken at seminars, etc
are entered as separate items, along with key words and where to find them.
(I figured that the info wasn't much use having if I couldn't locate the
right bits when I needed them! I just hated that feeling of knowing I had
read something and not knowing where.) I can do a search in any field of
the database - key word, author, word in a title, etc.

Loose pieces, like reprints, photocopies, etc are in a cardboard box
designed as a cheap filing cabinet (the sort you can get at K-Mart or
Target, etc), and are in broad categories, like 'sucking problems',
'colic', 'association with diseases', etc and then each paper is coded with
a letter for the category and a sequential number, eg C1, C2, C3... for the
articles related to colic (one of my original interests!).

The biggest drawback to this system is finding the time to enter all the
info - I do end up with a pile on my desk awaiting entry into the database!

I store most electronic info differently - most of it is from Lactnet and I
have Word documents with a variety of topics in a 'Lactnet' folder. I save
posts I want to keep for future reference by copying and pasting from the
digest to the Word document. Sometimes I print out things and store in my
paper system, but not often - maybe things off the Web.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]