From:
Betsy Ayers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 15:44:33 -0700
Yes, yes, I too am a frustrated hospital based LC that rarely has time to read LACTNET and rarer still ,time to post.  My question is "How do your hospitals bill pts for LC services.  right now our charge is billed within the nursing budget even for outpts that delievered at the hosptial.

Betst Ayers RN, IBCLC
frustrated hostpital based IBCLC in Meridian Idaho

"As a hospital-based LC, it is relatively common for me
to head into the room of a mom who is, according to
the postpartum nurse, "doing great, she just has a
couple quick questions".  Another classic is "She just
needs a pump; it won't take long."  Then, on interview
and exam, Mom has nipple trauma, or a history of
augmentation, or is on medications, and the "couple
quick questions" that "won't take long" wind up
becoming a full-on consult that runs 45 to 60 minutes.

Most moms who need a pump also need TEACHING on how to
use the pump.  This is 15 minutes for a quick review
(multip who has done this before and is comfortable w/
the pump provided), and can run into much more for a
first-time pump user.  Folks, this is what a
consultation is, and should be billed appropriately.
Part of the reason the lactation field does not get
the respect it truly deserves is because so many of us
have worked for free, out of a true spirit of kindness
and generosity, for so long.  This is not a bad thing.
 However, as long as we short-change ourselves, the
rest of the medical community, and our employers, will
continue do the same.

Just my opinion...
Carole Jernigan
gratified, but frustrated, hospital-based IBCLC"