From:
Julie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:00:44 -0800
Permission to post:
I have a two and half month old that appears to me to not have the strongest suck. Has used a nipple shield for most of the nursing time since birth. This baby has had continual nursing strikes off an on. And during nursing strikes, baby takes pump breastmilk from a bottle. After 2 months this mom came to see me we tried using a SNS with shield and Mom reported that baby did better at breast. We went to a special feeder vs regular bottle during refusal times and mom reported that baby sucked better verses being sloppy and fussy with regular bottle and got baby back to breast without shield most of the time since our consult.  Now 3 weeks later with some improvement with special feeder and sucking exercises, another nursing strike is happening and this time nothing is working. Complete refusal...with and without shield.  Doesn't even want mom to hold her in the nursing position with moms clothes on. Mom has done everything that one does during a nursing strike...skin to skin...massage...etc. Baby is not cooperating. Any thoughts? My thoughts are that this suck is one I see in low tone babies yet this baby doesn't seem to be low tone other than this suck and because of the less than perfect suck the baby is not getting the milk to flow as nice as the bottle gives her...and then nursing strike.  So basically my question is what can this mom do to improve this weak suck?
Thanks!
Julie