From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:50:03 -0700
Hoffman, H., et al. 1988. Risk for SIDS: Results of NICHD SIDS cooperative
epidemiological study. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 533:13-30.

Mitchell, E.A., et al. 1991. Results of the first year of the New Zealand
cot death study. N.Z. Med. J. 104:72-76.

I just skimmed through Dr. Sears' book, SIDS: A Parent's Guide to
Understanding and Preventing Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. See Ch. 7, "Step
Four: Breastfeed Your Baby"  He points out there will never be a controlled
study that proves BFing directly protects against SIDS. There are ethical
issues with requiring mothers to NOT breastfeed in order to form the
required control group. Information comes from prospective studies and
common sense.

Quoting: "A study from New Zealand shows that SIDS was three times higher
in babies who were not breastfed."  and this:  "Of the eighty-six babies
she studied ... only three were breastfed; and this occurred in a country
with a particularly high incidence of breastfeeding."

Often, what appeared to us to be evidence of the protective effect of BFing
was discounted by researchers as being more related to non-smoking, moms
who were of higher socioeconomic levels, moms who had prenatal care, etc.
than to BFing.

Dr. Sears observed that the NICHD study showed higher SIDS rates among
formula babies.
He also mentioned the "AVON Study" (don't have the cite) that there was a
lower rate of SIDS among BFing babies. So he backs up his conclusions with
observations noted in these studies, common sense reasoning based on the
protective effects of the milk itself, and the physical activities of
BFing, ie: arousability.

Here are 4 references from Marsha Walker's "Selling Out":

Fredrickson DD, et al. Relationship between sudden infant death syndrome
and breastfeeding intensity and duration. Am J Dis Child 1993 147:460

Gordon AD, Saadi AT, MacKenzie DA, et al. The protective effect of breast
feeding in relation to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS): II. The effect
of human milk and infant formula preparations on binding of Clostridium
perfringens to epithelial cells. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 1999 Aug a
25(1-2):167-173

(same authors)  The protective effect of breast feeding in relation to
sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS): III. Detection of IgA antibodies in
human milk that bind to bacterial toxins implicated in SIDS. FEMS Immunol
Med Microbiol 1999 Aug 1 25(1-2):175-182

Saadi AT, Gordon AE, MacKenzie DA, et al. The protective effect of breast
feeding in relation to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS): I. The effect
of human milk and infant formula preparations on binding of toxigenic
Staphylococcus aureus to epithelial cells. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 1999
Aug 1 25(1-2):155-165

See also Linda J. Smith's research and presentations on sleep, BFing and
SIDS, etc. Contact her and she will share.

Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ
I have no $$ interests in any of the above - they are from my personal
reference library.