Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:58:48 EDT

CIndy posted about an  <<article in British  paper

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article360047.ece
This  one is a dozy!>>

I've tried to pull it up  twice, and it always ends in the middle of the
sentence about the percentage of  teen moms in the second column.  Has anyone else
had better  luck?

This mom is really angry  that breastfeeding didn't work out for her.  I bet,
dollars to donuts  (pounds to crumpets?) that had she gotten the proper
support and had she gone on  to a fabulous breastfeeding relationship with her
nursling that she would have  been a terrific advocate for breastfeeding.  As it
is, we, the  medical/nursing/lactation establishment failed her miserably.  We
need to  take a lesson from this, and figure out how we can collectively do it
 better.

From giving mixed messages  from the get go, from not (as far as I can tell)
picking up on the fact that  this baby was on the breast constantly and
miserable, to not giving her the  support she needed -- now we are lambasted in the
press, and breastfeeding is  getting a dirty rap.

The article makes me  sad.  It's almost like getting a bad evaluation when
speaking -- despite  the good ones, the bad one always stands out -- and if
there is validity in it,  it motivates us to change.

Now I realize the fault does  not lie entirely on the shoulders of the
lactation consultants -- the rest of  the medical folk have something to answer for
too.  But I think we all need  to take it to heart.  How many moms feel this
way, but simply aren't as  articulate as this woman?

I for one am taking it to  heart and want the moms to know that there is more
than one way to successful  breastfeeding.  We need to remember that new moms
are in the formal  acquisition of parenting, and want to do it RIGHT.  They
want rules, and  they will listen to everyone -- and get horrendously confused
if they get  differing opinions.

I'm sad this article was  written, but I'm sadder still for the woman who
felt compelled to write it  because she had such a horrible experience....

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
Wheaton IL -- currently in cold & rainy Santa Barbara

_http://www.motherofbridebyjan.blogspot.com/_
(http://www.motherofbridebyjan.blogspot.com/)

_Torrey's  Blog_ (http://www.marriedcouplebytorrey.blogspot.com/)