From:
Nancy H Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:32:13 EST
I heard Dr. Laura's comments myself on extended breastfeeding (at least part
of it).  I feel that the conversation is being a bit misconstrued here.  The
caller was adament that her friend was irreparably harming her toddler by
continuing to breastfeed.  Dr. Laura kept trying to get the women to explain
in what way the child being harmed by breastfeeding.  She finally said, in
exasperation and in a rather terse manner (paraphrasing here) "OK, if you
feel that she is harming this child, report it to the authorities AND fax me
any information you have that proves that this will harm the child."

My take on this is that Dr. Laura was not suggesting that this child needed
to be referred to social services, but was just pointing to the foolishness
of the caller making such a big stink.

Nancy