Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:44:50 -0400
>>> I would like to make
the sessions interesting and not just boring frontal lectures.  I have
presented courses to community nurses/midwives before using various
techniques for participation (e.g. small discussion groups).  Do you
think this will be acceptable?  Previously my audiences have consisted
of people who *wanted* to be there.  This may not be the case with the
medical students!  Any ideas re curriculum and/or presentation ideas
would be most welcome.  TIA.<<<

Jean,

If you don't mind me dropping the specific breastfeeding component of
this course and letting me address just the *teaching* aspects, I'll
try to offer some suggestions.   A note of background:  I'm a teacher
(with a degree in education) and have taught a number of different
types of courses for varying age groups (including adults).  Granted,
I've never taught medical school, so disregard whatever seems too
simplistic.

It's always a good idea to find out what your students know (or don't
know, as the case may be) in the beginning.  I'd suggest some kind of
questionnaire for them about breastfeeding.  This will give you an
idea of what points you should hit harder than others, and which
you'll have to be sure to address at length.

Vary your presentations as much as possible.  Films, visual aides,
even a live demonstration if you can get a nursing mom in will help.
Remember that people learn best when they DO something with the
knowledge you give them-- perhaps do a short lecture on a given topic
(say, mastitis), then have students role play with one another,
checking and diagnosing.  Use graphic organizers where you can--
people seem to remember information better when they can see it
spatially arranged on a page.

Even with adult groups, I find cooperative learning to be extremely
helpful.  That doesn't just mean putting them in groups-- it means
allowing students to teach one another.  I'd suggest you read Spencer
Kagan's _Cooperative Learning_ for some ideas, and I'll be happy to
trade some with you via email.  Basically, students need to OWN the
knowledge you're sharing with them-- and working in groups, which
forces them to check both themselvs and others for understanding-- can
facilitate this.

I've found that people can absorb about 20 minutes of lecturing, and
then they need to do something with that knowledge or it becomes just
some notes to memorize before the test and forget promptly afterwards.
You could do a little introductory activity, discuss it, then lecture,
then have the students complete a group activity and come back
together to discuss it.  Don't be wary of setting up several different
arrangements during the class period.

Hope this helps! :)

Teresa G. in NC