From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 1996 21:32:46 -0400
Patty:  I would ask those who are giving this woman the advice not to
breastfeed in order not to transmit the "CFS virus" how they found out
that the virus is transmissible in breastmilk.  First off, unless I am
way out of date, we don't even know what virus (if there is one!) causes
CFS, and the mode of transmission of CFS is far from clear.  Even if the
virus was known, where are the cases of babies with CFS?  For all we
know, if a virus is the causative agent, the mother should never be in
the same room with her baby regardless of the feeding method.  One could
speculate that her antibodies through her milk might even protect her
baby.  Bottom line, it's all speculation.  Get them to provide her with good
research proving that she could give CFS to her baby by breastfeeding(she
should ask for the percentage of breastfed babies who have been shown to
get the virus as compared with the percentage of bottle-fed babies who
did).
If they can, we all need this information.  If they can't, they need some
education on the risks of artificial feeding so they won't be so quick to
suggest an infant feeding method proven to be harmful to babies, mothers,
society and the environment as an alternative to an unknown, probably
small, risk of breastfeeding.  Good luck, Alicia.  [log in to unmask]