From:
Diana Cassar-Uhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2010 00:27:36 -0400
Hi Senecca,

Thanks for working on behalf of this woman in uniform.  Unfortunately,
military service is not at all like jury duty, nor is it really like
any other "job" or "business" in that those who commit to serve do so
in a very exclusive manner.  I am sad to report to you that none of
the resources you are hoping will help will carry any weight
whatsoever.  The military has its own set of rules and operating
procedures.  That said, there are many women who combine military
service with motherhood/breastfeeding (I am one of them).  I am not
sure what the rank of this particular mother is or how far up in her
Chain of Command she has gone to seek some compromise in her
situation.  I do know that if she flat out refuses to attend her 3
weeks, she can be severely disciplined; however, I do not know the
terms of her particular commitment, but should she desire to leave the
military completely, there is a provision for that -- she can separate
honorably under the guise of a "hardship."  Is she retirement-
eligible?  Is she obligated to service due to having received
education or other benefits?  She may not be able to separate.

Can she work with a military physician, who might advise an adjustment
of her duty, or that she be assigned an office job during that three
weeks?  May mothers have received similar support from Army doctors --
they are becoming increasingly aware of the need to view
breastfeeding, or NOT breastfeeding, as a medical situation.  A mother
of a young baby without means to feed or express milk from her breasts
is going to get mastitis and be "sick in quarters" anyway ... the baby
may have never fed from a bottle, or may have severe allergies, among
other reasons to keep the baby fed with mother's milk at the breast.

In most cases I've seen, though, there is creativity required.  What
is the nature of her assignment?  Will she be in the woods for 3 weeks
straight, away from civilization?  If so, can she arrange a trade with
another Guard Unit so that she's in a more "urban" setting for her
prescribed time, or perhaps postpone when she reports this year for
when her baby is older?  If she is in a more "urban" setting, can she
have the baby's father or other family members/friends stay nearby in
a hotel or with friends/family and reunite her with the baby whenever
possible?

A lot of La Leche League Leaders have experience in counseling mothers
in the military ... as well, there is a terrific book on the way, by
fellow LACTNET-ter Robyn Roche-Paull, entitled "Breastfeeding in
Combat Boots."  I know my post here hasn't been at all comprehensive,
but I hope it has helped to steer you in the right direction.

--Diana Cassar-Uhl, IBCLC and La Leche League Leader in NY State (also
a Sergeant First Class on active duty since 1995 and mother of 3
extensively breastfed children)