From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 00:13:40 +0200
When I mention cross cradle, I describe it as a way to improve latch if baby
has been held too far out to the side so that mother is getting sore, and
not as a way to BF throughout a feed.  It is also helpful for the
quick-to-slurp babies because mother can easily flip her breast out of
baby's reach if she sees a painful latch approaching.  I always show how,
once the baby has actually taken hold and is swallowing, they can switch
their arms and assume the time-hallowed renaissance painting
Madonna-and-child position.   I use a doll (actually, a teddy bear someone
forgot on the ward a couple of years ago) and it seems to get the point
across.

Haven't been able to coerce adults in groups to practice with a doll with
others present; the Norwegian disposition seems to prohibit such public
embarrassment, though they certainly enjoy watching me make a fool of myself
with my fuzzy, short-limbed baby and my cloth breast model.

If I start to use beer-swilling as a comparison to jaw position with latch,
I may find myself in violation of the ban on advertising alcohol, but it is
a great image and who knows?  I might just take the chance.

I'm working on a talk about evaluating latch, for in-services, and this
thread is so helpful, you'd think I started it myself just to get my
footwork done by everyone else!

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway