From:
Karin de Graaf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 2009 09:17:00 +0200
First of all thanks everybody for giving encouragement and sharing
experiences. Thanks everybody for your concern and your friendly words.
Still, I do want to come back to my original topic, which is that in my mind
some questions are not correct or erratic.

Let me give an example now from the IBCLE candidate information guide.
Question 5: the definitive symptom of incorrect positioning of a baby at the
breast is    A nipple pain   B  irritated inflamed nipple epithelium  C
stabbing pain when the baby latches on  D a compression stripe across the
nipple  E blanching of the whole nipple after feeding.

In my thought option A is not specific for positioning, because there are
many more causes for nipple pain then positioning. B can be candida,
allergy, so not the answer. C can be related to candida or other conditions,
so not the answer. D is in my mind definitely a sign of incorrect
positioning. E is vasospasm which can also be a complication of other
painful conditions of the nipple like candida. In my opinion the right
answer should be D. If this question was put to me on the exam I wouldn't
write a comment on this question because I find it a clear question, en
answer D is in my mind a clear answer. But I got it wrong according to the
IBCLE, because the correct answer is A.

I want to know if my line of thinking is incorrect. Please let me know your
opinion on this matter.

(PS:  I'm not at all worried or nervous. I just have a professional interest
in comparing my way of thinking with colleagues. J J )

Greetings,

Karin de Graaf IBCLC

 Private practice

The Netherlands