From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 18:19:45 -0800
I am constantly amazed how often people say breastfeeding shouldn't happen in public, because someone might see it and be offended, either by the "bare"
breast, or the act itself.

Where are the people who bar over-large men from wearing t-shirts which don't even meet, much less cover the waist-lines of their jeans (which they are wearing halfway down their hips).  Where are the people barring the verbal abuse on spouses or children in public.  Where are the people banning the bared bodies on billboards 15 ft tall x 45 ft wide (or so, I'm bad at estimating size), which advertise overtly everything from shoes, to cars to jeans to current movies and current musical releases (and with backdropsand covertly selling the idea that violence against women is okay.)  These things are in our faces, and very hard not to see, if we don't want to.

On the other hand, someone doesn't have to see a woman breastfeeding her child, even if they notice in the first place.  In the first place, she is probably being discreet.  In the second place, THEY DON'T HAVE TO LOOK!!!

Sincerely,  Chanita