From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 07:36:08 EDT
Rachel wrote:   "Is it likely that nature is that far off the mark?" with
regards to the Vitamin K controversy. I do not think that nature is ever very
far off the mark (except temporarily and natural selection takes care of the
errors most of the time), but in modern childbirth we definitely interfere
with nature's plans.....babies have blood work for low blood sugar parameters
(probably more often than they should in some institutions), they all (in the
US) get blood work for the PKU/metabolic testing, and boys often get
circumcised.
Therefore, we need to consider that Vit K needs to be given to help babies
cope with these insults that were not in nature's game plan originally. (I
have always believed that doing the bris on the 8th day had some scientific
basis--babies probably did not bleed at this point like they did in the 7
days prior...one of my pet theories that is based on common sense rather than
historical research).

Just thoughts--
Kathy in NJ