From:
Linda Tandy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 09:14:11 -0600
<Does any one have problems with lactation and breastfeeding in m<others who
have conceived on fertiliy programmes?

I have worked with two over this past year.  Both were IVF, and one had had
several SAB's, so had hormonal therapy during pregnancy.  Both had to use
SNS, and in the end were only able to supply approximately 1/3 the needed
amount of milk.  One had breasts which appeared as those with isufficient
glandular tissue (long, tubular, wide spaced).  The other had rounded
breasts.  Neither experienced engorgement, and both babies had difficulty
with weight gain.  I tried herbal therapies with some increase in milk
supply, but neither mother was able to achieve a large supply.  However, I
stressed to the mother's the absolute value of every drop of breast milk!!!
and they each nursed for quite some time.  Have been storing it in the back
of my brain, wondering if there is a relationship.  It would make logical
sense.

Linda J. Tandy, MSN, RN, IBCLC
Cedar Rapids, Iowa