From:
Angela Brekken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2013 14:28:25 +0000
I am a RD and awaiting my results for the IBCLC exam.  In my studies I found that the % of fat isn't increased, just the type of fat is influenced by mom's diet.  Is she pumping at all?  If so, she could chill in the refrigerator and skim some of the fat that separates and spoon feed it to baby.  This would be a great way to bulk up some calories by using mom's own milk.  If she wanted to save some of the skimmed milk she could add it to baby foods (cereals)/etc. being that baby is 6mo (if baby is showing cues that they are ready for solids).  This is just me brainstorming out some options; I am not an IBCLC *yet*  :)   I also don't recall if baby has always been at the lower %ile.  If so, some kids are just smaller naturally; are mom and/or dad smaller people?  If baby has fallen on the curve, then I would think bulking up on calories at this time would be appropriate.

Angie, RD, LD, CLEC (anxiously awaiting results)
WIC Dietitian & Breastfeeding Coordinator
Mommy of 2