From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:34:13 -0500
Hi Debra,
I don't have any literature, I beleive there is some info on this in some of
the well known lactation texts written by IBCLCs.
However, I can say this. One needs AT LEAST an hour for each mother in the
hospital, if the LC is seeing inpatients only. Here is how I figure it. Some
moms will be bf their 3rd baby, and they are experienced and you will just
need to go in and see that they are doing well, and know how to get help and
where, and give them some info re wet/dirty diapers and such. It just takes
a few minutes. Still there usually is the need to chart on both the mother
and baby. Then there will be those moms/babes who need several hours of your
help each day. If you have sick/premie babies they need more time too. First
visit might be to show how to pump etc, and support that, later there will
be time needed to help mom/baby start bf.
So you say there are 80 deliveries a month, what are the bf rates. At my
hospital there are about 100 per month, average, but our bf rates are only
averaging 45%. This means I am seeing about 45 moms per month. Since I also
see followup outpatients, and I'd say around 1/2 come back (occasionally
more than once but mostly one f/u visit); this means I'm seeing about 70
visits per month. I allow one hour for the outpatients on average.
You also have to account for a lunch break, if there are meetings, policies
to write, staff development etc. You can figure so many hours per week for
that.
The way I do things, if it is a slow day with 3 moms, I might leave early if
they are doing ok, if it is a busy day with 10 moms, I might stay a few
hours over. Hope this helps you somewhat.
Each institution and LC has to decide how much the regular nursing staff
will be trained and handling/helping the dyads. In the ideal world, all
staff should be able to help and support bf dyads.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA