Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 00:49:49 EST
Just adding a bit more information:

"Tylade" sic Tilade (generic nedocromil) is a nonsteriodal anti-inflammatory
agent similar to Intal (cromolyn sodium).    Both act by inhibiting mediator
release from inflammatory cells and are considered prophlactic meds in asthma
treatment.  Cromolyn is considered "safer" to use in pregnant and lactating
women.

The beta agonists (eg Maxaire, Albuterol, Salmetrol (aka Serevent)) are also
safe to use especially in the metered dose inhaler form.  Most of the drug
goes directly to the target organ, the lungs, very little goes to the rest of
the body.

Inhaled steroids (either nasal or oral) are also safe for use in pregnant and
lactating moms.

Asthma can be a significant problem.  It is important to treat both
inflammation and bronchospasm- hence the use of multiple agents.  As my OB and
pulmonologist put it, "breathing is very important for mamas:)" (their cute
way of getting me to comply with my medication regimen).  Also treating asthma
judiciously can prevent some nasty long term sequellae such as right sided
heart failure, COPD, permanent damage to the lungs and that really nasty
sequellae of respiratory failure (aka death).

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett MD FAAP
also asthmatic breastfeeding mom
Modesto CA