From:
Patricia Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 14:06:04 +0000
Jeanette's comments on advice given by two drs is sad commentary, but all
too frequently what most of us hear.

I use a logarithm that follows Total and direct bilirubin and what to look
for when levels are greater than or lower than.  If I see a bestfed baby at
2-3 weeks who is "still" yellow and growing nicely, I do one bili to assure
that we are probably not dealing with anything exotic like biliary
obstruction etc. Then I just watch the yellow baby thrive on mom's milk!

Sorry I don't know orig source of logarithm.  The only details on it are
page 236, Chapter 16: Neonatal Hyperbilirubinemia.  I think it was a ped text.

Many HCPs think that BF babies have infrequent BMs.  This is a widely held
notion.  The problem is that it is BF babies over 6 wks of age who tend to
stool less frequently.  In all my years of seeing moms and babies I've only
seen 2 who truly stooled infrequently right from the beginning.  I agree
with the experts who think that stooling in the first days is a better
indicator of intake than wet diapers.  I find this begins to change around
7-8 days, to more wet, less stool.  But a good gaining bestfed baby stools a
lot in the first few weeks.  Anyone else agree?  Wish we could do a good
survey and publish what the true norm is for a BF baby!

Do you know, according to Rogers it takes about 20 years for any new info to
filter into use?  Don't get discouraged.  Pat Young in SNJ