From:
Kathy Birt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 07:09:41 -0800
I have been asked to write early discharge criteria
for breastfeeding mothers and babies.  Our current
criteria was written when patients stayed in the
hospital 48-72hrs.  Does anyone have any
evidence-based criteria they can share with me? The
criteria we have documented is "breastfeeding well,
voiding and stooling 6 x 24hrs, vitals signs WNL,etc.
I felt the breastfeeding portion and output needed to
be different for babies 24hrs old.
They can follow up with me, the lactation consultant
or the pediatrician but there is no consistency among
the pedis when those followups occur.