From:
Maureen Fletcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 23:47:51 -0400
I was told the same too by the Regional Office.

I tried to look for some online courses that would meet the new requirements but it is rather impossible and expensive. The only option I have is to enroll in a nursing school which would set me back about 3-4years here and being a working mom and a small child, I find it really hard to cope.

It is even harder for me here because there are no other IBCLCs in my country to even consider using Pathway 3.

I thought this profession was to help mothers in a non medical way to support and encourage breastfeeding. No doubt that there will be situations whereby it will warrant for a medical professional intervention, but certainly that can be worked out with referrals (I just did 2cases with referrals to the Pediatrician and he was most happy to help)

I do what I can in my capacity as a CLEC from a non medical background and I like to look back at the pioneers of the IBLCE/early batches of IBCLCs, they were regular moms just like you and me and they opened the door to so many other non medical background individuals to become wonderful Board Certified LCs. I am not saying that the RN-IBCLs are not good, its just that I do not feel the purpose of having these new requirements being a core for those who want to take the exam.

Honestly, I am so disheartened by the new ruling and it is like a tight slap on my face telling me that I am not good enough to be a IBCLC as compared to someone who has a medical background. I've tried to appeal to the Regional office and ask them for some suggestions on how I can realise my ambition/dream, but all they told me was "I'm sorry, unless you are able to find a way to fulfill those requirements, then I am afraid being an IBCLC is still far beyond your reach". If they are to come up with such requirements, at least they could also provide us with some information on how we could fulfill them like the list they did for the AARC courses. This would benefit the non medical background related candidates.

I am trying to keep my spirits high and tell myself everyday that I am doing a good job in my capacity even though the new requirements has shot down my hopes of becoming an IBCLC with "internationally recognized standards/status".