Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:53:31 EDT
Pat in SNJ says,

<<The whole situation of hyperbili is complex, with so  many individual
factors that can impact a bili (ethnicity, sex, meds used in labor, time to
first feed, (which effects) time to first stool, what is fed, sepsis, etc.)>>

Pat -- I got all of this except sex -- by which I presume you mean gender
(??) -- I've not read that the sex of the infant had an impact on hyperbilirubin.
 What did I miss?

I think we also need to remember that back in 1958 since they didn't have
treatments for hyperbilirubinemia other than exchange transfusion, that most
physicians only worried about those babies with ABO incompatibility and Rh
incompatibility -- particularly the second and third offspring of the Rh negative mom
who were Rh positive -- RhoGam had not yet been invented either.  So I'm not
sure anyone was looking at the normal physiologic jaundice or the lack of
feeding jaundice at all.  How many mothers were breastfeeding in 1958 -- probably
a pretty low percentage.  My sister (1957) was sent home from the hospital at
7 or 8 days known to the staff as "Little Buttercup."

It is interesting that since the advent of the bililight, no one has been
interested in doing a study to look at the effects of sunlight on
hyperbilirubinemia....

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC
Wheaton, Illinois
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com