From:
Pam Wiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 20:46:34 -0400
Cathy Carothers writes:

Imagine our surprise and shock in the midst of our major WIC breastfeeding
campaign to open the front page of the "Southern Style" section of the
Jackson, MS "Clarion Ledger" (distributed statewide) to see a 6x8 full color
picture of a mother bottle feeding her infant, AND an  additional full color
picture of a can of Similac, with the headline, "Next best thing?" Sub head
reads, "For those who just can't breast-feed, new baby formula claims to  be
closer than ever to mother's milk."  It was provided to the Clarion-Ledger
by a freelance writer name d Gloria Butler Baldwin.

Me:

Perhaps this newspaper is OWNED by Ross or the writer's  husband works for
them...Something's fishy here. The timing is too perfect and Wow, what a lot
of free advertising!  The list of bottlefeeding advantages reminds me of the
list they used to give out at a health department near me.

Pam Wiggins,  IBCLC, Franklin VA
Breastfeeding Info Center: http://www.bookzone.com/breastfeeding