From:
Holly McSpadden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2018 01:47:50 +0000
I certainly agree that stress contributes to many underlying diseases including problems with milk ejection reflex. (refer to research on stress and a milk cow’s inability to let  milk down)
Oxytocin is an ancient hormone that is present in some form in all vertebrates.  Research shows that it may be essential for the reproduction and feeding of all mammals as well as modulation of many socially related behaviors.  We probably would not have survived as a species without it.

I did not mean to insinuate that a mother’s emotional state is not connected to oxytocin release, only that we need to be careful about excluding other causes. (after all, not too many years ago my relatively unstressed father was referred to a psychiatrist for his severe stomach ulcer because at that time we didn’t believe in anything like H. Pylori.)

Humans CAN be deficient in oxytocin. Review the information on The Pituitary Society website (pituitarysociety.org) that links deficiencies in pituitary hormones (including oxytocin) to pituitary adenomas, hypophysitis, tuberculosis, meningitis, sarcoidosis, histiocytosis, hemochromatosis, and Sheehan’s syndrome. They also state that “complete oxytocin deficiency could make breastfeeding difficult.”

Here is an interesting (older) study on the effects of thyroid hormone on oxytocin.
THE JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY 0 1992 by The American Society for Biochemiatry and Molecular Biology, Inc. Thyroid Hormone Regulates the Oxytocin Gene* (Received for publication, October 3, 1991) Roger A. H. Adan#, Joke J. Cox, Jorge P. van Kats, and J. Peter H. Burbachg

Warmly,

Holly McSpadden