Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:02:10 EST
Jean points out:

<<I was, as someone said, brought up in the days when
bottles were propped and holding, etc. was discouraged for fear of
spoiling the child, so skin contact wasn't abundant in my developing
years.>>

Well, me neither.  And perhaps that is why I went into nursing as well?  Back
when I went through nursing school though, there was a lot more touching than
there is now.  Why we actually had to learn how to give BACKRUBS!!  And not
only learn how to do it, but to give them during PM care.

 I wonder if a lot of the mothers who say something to the effect of, "I
don't think he's EATING, I think he's just using me as a pacifier" (a phrase that
causes the little hairs on my neck to stand up and scream out loud....) have
not been touched a lot themselves as children.

What do you all say when a mom says that to you?

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC
Wheaton, Illinois
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com