From:
"Jane D. Squires" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:52:33 -0600
On the same subject of good news.  In November our local newspaper changed
the cribside logo from a stork carrying a baby (not great) to a bottle and
pacifier (I could not believe it).  I wrote a very nice letter telling them
how the bottle and pacifier showed no human touch, in fact it depicted the
opposite in my mind.  I sent them ideas for logo's that were more compatible
with new life, like a mother holding a baby,and other human interaction type
situations.  I did not hear back from them, but the VERY next week
(capitalization for emphasis) the newspaper changed the logo back to the
stork.  Yesterday I spoke with the editor of the newspaper about the weekly
article they want me to write, and she shared with me that when the letter
arrived  the subject was brought up at a staff meeting, and it was voted
unanimously to change the logo.  I am sorry they chose the stork, but at
least they are not using the bottle and pacifier.  So some changes are
slowly occurring. Incidentally the editors (there are 2) both have
breastfed.  One is still breastfeeding, and she told me that even though she
thought the logo (bottle and pacifier) were offensive, she did not have the
energy to fight it.  So she said she was really happy that I had brought it
to the attention of the right person. I am really excited.

Jane Squires  RN IBCLC